We understand that testing your child’s vision at home might seem complicated at first. Our team is happy to help you through the process. Once you master it, you will find it a lot of fun! There are a few options our office uses to check a child’s vision from home. See below.
Please know that checking your child’s vision must be completed for them to see the doctor during a video visit.
Before your appointment
- Make sure you have a well-light area to test your child.
- You will need a tape measure to measure the distance of your child to the screen/printed letters. If you don’t have a measuring tape you can use 8.5 by 11 sheets of paper. 11 sheets lengthwise is approximately 10 feet while 5 and ½ sheets would be 5 feet.
- Decide how you will plan to check vision by the options below
GoCheck Acuity App
App for Apple iOS Only
Download the App prior to your appointment.
You can download the app here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/
Once you download. Enter your email address (the one you gave our office) and click “I have instruction from my doctor.”
How to video app: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
Feel free to follow through with the steps attached if you would like to attempt checking vision on your own. Our technician will walk you through the App settings you will need and help you test your child.
Peek Acuity App
App for Android Devices
Download the App prior to your appointment
You can download the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.peekvision.public.android&hl=en_US
Once you’ve downloaded the app, follow the instructions for use here: http://www.conestogaeye.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/peek-Acuity-instructions.pdf
Single Sheet Vision Checker
HOTV PDF (click to download)
You are able to use this PDF on either your computer/iPad or as a printout. Either way, please make sure the round circle perfectly fits the size of a US quarter.
Your child will still need to sit the right distance away.
Other vision checking options:
Visual Acuity Rotating Box to print
(Matching Card for Child) http://www.abcd-vision.org/Images/ABCD-Home-match-HOTV.pdf
If you are using this version, you will need scissors and tape to create the box.
You will need access to a printer and to print on an 8.5 by 11 inch piece of paper.
Make sure the indicated lines are the correct width with a ruler.
More directions can be found here: http://www.abcd-vision.org/vision-screening/Home%20MatchBox%20Instruct.html
Before any testing, please ensure the following:
- Make sure your child is sitting in a chair with a back. Their back should be flush with the back of the chair.
- Your child should be 5ft or 10ft away from the iphone/ipad that will show the letters depending on the testing distance you choose. For the rotating box the testing distance is 10 ft. Measure this distance accurately with a measuring tape.
- You will test your child’s vision first in their right eye and then their left. If you already use eye patches, place an eye patch over the eye you are not testing. You can also make your own eye patches with duct tape placing a piece of tape or tissue in the center of the sticky part of the tape so it doesn’t stick to the eyelids.
- If you do not have eye patches, have the child or someone cover the child’s eye with a tissue.
- It is best not to cover with a hand as a child can peak through their fingers or lean forward in their chair while you are conducting the test.
- Please review this video on checking your child’s alignment with a cover test. (Learn how here.)
Checking Vision at Home
Updated on 2020-05-21T18:54:09+00:00, by .